Motorcycle license exchanges

Exchange agreements apply to licensed motorcycle drivers from Canada, the United States and Switzerland. If you hold a motorcycle license from another Canadian jurisdiction that is equivalent to Ontario’s restricted Class M license, you will be able to exchange your license. If you have less than two years of driving experience, you may get credit for your experience and enter Level Two of the graduated licensing system. Once you have a total of two years of driving experience, you may take the Level Two road test to earn full driving privileges.

There is no exchange agreement for motorcycle drivers from Japan, Korea, Austria, Germany, Great Britain, France or Belgium. However, credit for holding a motorcycle license from one of these countries will be granted for previous motorcycle experience when applying for a Class M motorcycle license in Ontario.

Driving customs vary from place to place. That is why experienced drivers from other countries should familiarize themselves with Ontario’s laws. The Official Driver’s Handbook and the Ministry of Transportation website are good resources.